Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:43:15 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
Cc:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendfile() in tftpd?

Attila Nagy wrote:
> With Danny's tftpd I could get 16-17 Mbps with one machine (this is what
> the client says) and around 4 Mbps per client at a concurrency of 24
> machines.
> That's about 90-96 Mbps.
>
> I will try do more benchmarks with an accurate method, once I could figure
> out what should I use to measure the outgoing traffic to specific IP
> addresses (a /24 subnet)...

The main thing you will see is that the mmap'ed file pages will
be LRU'ed out.

Unfortunately, there is not one instance per client.

You might do well to madvise() the file, as well, based on the
expectation of having multiple sequential transfers of the
same data.  This assumes that you use the same boot image for
each machine, which is advisable (IMO).

-- Terry