Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 07:22:39 -0800
From:      "Robert Luce" <rwl@gymnet.com>
To:        "Nicole Harrington" <nicole@nmhtech.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 02:20:01 -0800 (PST), Nicole Harrington wrote:

>On 29-Jan-99 My Secret Spies Reported That Gary D. Margiotta  wrote:
>> Jesse,
>>
>> The biggest problem you'll run into with mailing lists is disk speed.
>> Processor speed is negligible, but memory should be decent.  Also, if you
>> want speed, drop sendmail in favor of a replacement MTA: qmail and postfix
>> being two of them.
>>
>> I've had most of my experiences with qmail, and it is a decent
>> replacement, but we are loking to switch to postfix due to its
>> configurability.  Postfix resembles sendmail and uses the same sort of
>> configuration files, and if you are already familiar with sendmail, that
>> would be the best way to go.  From first tests, postfix seems to work just
>> as well, if not better than qmail.
>>
>> With either MTA, you'll be able to move several hundred thousand local
>> emails daily, as long as you have a decent amount of memory, and a fast
>> drive.  My reccomendation would be a PII-350 (just for the 100MHz FSB),
>> 128MB RAM (maybe 256 if you feel like it), and two seprate drives in the
>> system, maybe a 2- or 4-GB for your system partitions (IBM LP drives are
>> good, 6.5 ms, 7200RPM), and a 10,000 RPM Cheetah or the likes for your
>> /var/mail partition.  Run postfix, and you should have no problems.
>>

> Postfix would definatly be a better choice since it works with majordomo
> without any changes. Qmail takes a bit more work.
>

>  Nicole

Ah, but qmail integrates perfectly with ezmlm and ezmlm-idx and that combo
allows users to create their own mailing lists or lets you create global lists
with one or two command lines, is much less resource intensive and is
amazingly fast.

I've been using qmail+ezmlm for well over a year and I would never go
back to majordomo.

----
Robert Luce                     "Il faut supporter deux ou trois chenilles
System/News Administrator            si on veut connaŒtre les papillons.."
                                                - Antoine de Saint-Exup‚ry
Finger rwl@gymnet.com for PGP Public Key Block