Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:19:54 -0400
From:      drgerlists@gmail.com (Dr. Gary E. RAFE)
To:        seanjstrand@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How Can we Re:Configure USB Devices ( /dev/da?? )

"SEan Strand" <seanjstrand@gmail.com> wrote:
!Loaded the I386 version of 6.2 and managed to mount a USB IOMega Disk, then
!recompiled the kernel now it will not even show any of the  /dev/da??
!devices.
!
!Have tryed to enter the Device information into the /boot/device.hints file
!without any joy.
!Have tryed the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/device.hints file also, still no joy.
!Have tryed to re-load in total but no joy!
!Have tryed to re-load GENERIC, with no joy.
!
!Can some one please tell me which path/file I am ment to be editing and if I
!am wasting my time?
!
!
!In the Demessages file I see the controllers are being rejected with a
!number '6' ( assume this is not happy news). So what is it I must
!re-configure?

In your kernel config:
device usb
device uhci (or ohci, depending on the hardware)
device umass

Then, when you plug the USB device in,
look for /dev/da?, which should "just" appear.

If you're not seeing the "slice/partition" devices files (e.g., da0s1),
you probably also need to "camcontrol rescan <scsi_bus_number>",
followed by "true > /dev/da0", depending on the actual USB device.
Find the scsi_bus_number from "camcontrol devlist -v".

Then take a look at what devd(8) can do for you when you
attach the odd USB device...  HTH --Gary
--
Dr Gary E RAFE: drgerlists at gmail dot com