Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 07:06:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        obrien@leonardo.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Compress dumps?

> I always want to cry when someone suggests stream compression on
> dump formats.

It depends on how often you do the dumps, and how badly you need them.

I take uncompressed dumpes at home because I take them infrequently:
a couple of times a month. This is due to dumping 1.8GB to 60MB cartridges.

At work I dump nightly. The worst case loss if a single tape isn't
recoverable is one day. If more than one tape's bad then it's likely
something's systematically wrong with my backups anyway.

Archival backups are redundant or uncompressed.