Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 12:02:12 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@awod.com>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic on 4.5 STABLE

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 11:09:59AM -0500, stan wrote:
> Running periodic daily reliably crashes my 4.5 STABLE machine.
> Running the individual scripts in /etc/periodic/daily does
> not seem to replicate this problem.
>
> I finally managed to figure out how to get the panic message to
> stay on the screen. Here it is:
>
> Fatal Trap 12: Page Fault while in kernel mode
> Fault Virtual address          = 0x0
> fault code                     = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction code               = 0x8:0x0
> stack pointer                  = 0x10:0xe04e8eb4
> frame pointer                  = 0x10:0xe04e8ec8
> code segment                   = 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                                = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags               = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 8
> current process                = (704) ipfw
> interrupt mask                  = none
> trap number                    = 12
> panic: page fault
>
> All of this is, of course copied by hand, so forgive me if I got the
> format wrong.
>
> The machine is an Atholon 1.2G with 750MB of DDR ram

A correction, and an update. The memory is PC-133, not DDR.

And, I have at this point taken out all but the first memory segment,
and I can still reproduce thsi problem. The I swaped that memeory segment
for another one, again leaving just 1 256M segment in the machine.
The problem can still be reproduced.

I suppose I could move the swap space onot another drive, but I'm
runig out of ideas on cehcking hardware here.

Any sugestiosn?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin