Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 02:50:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        perhaps@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> > I get the impression that many of the 'anti-religious' people somehow
> > get the mistaken impression that somehow religion is based on childish
> > notions, and that any adult with a belief in the scientific process
> > can't be expected to have religious beliefs and still be sane.
>
> "Sane" is a relative term.  My guess/feeling is that people with
> religious beliefs probably are (on average) more stable and lead
> better lives than the ones without them, if all other things are
> equal.

Yes.  People who subscribe to a well defined memetic complex (any
belief system is a memetic complex) are much more likely to stay
within a standard deviation of their expectation behaviour.

People like this make us happy, because they are predictable (as
a group) with a high degree of accuracy).

As far as comparative value of memetic complexes of similar orders...
I'd rather have someone be a member of the gang "Baptists" than
that they be a member of the gang "Bloods", in terms of what I
view as negative impact on society.  8-).

"Better" is a realtive term; certainly, it's better for those of
us who have to live in a society composed of herds of people that
subscribe to one complex or another.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---