Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ady@warpnet.ro
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, se@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fetch + size

 * > (1) The -S flag of "fetch" just went into -current, if it doesn't work
 * >     as well as it's supposed to this might cause a great instability
 * >     in ports
 *
 *  This won't help too many people as for the moment I assume that the vast
 * majority of FreeBSD production machines run 2.2-stable...
 *  And if it might be buggy in bleeding edge -current...

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it will be merged to -stable soon.

 * > (2) The patch adds a SIZE line to files/md5.  That is quite
 * >     displeasing aesthetically (there's a reason why the file was
 * >     called "md5" in the first place...)
 *
 *  I don't see how a file with different size would have the same MD5
 * checksum !...
 *  Why should we need a SIZE line on top of the MD5 checksum ?

Sorry, forgot to mention that too.  The point is that if there is a
master site with a different file but with the same name, fetch can
(usually) tell right away that the size is wrong.  On the other hand,
you will have to fetch the whole file to see that the checksum is
wrong (at which point the fetch loop will terminate with an error).

This will help in cases where there are multiple master sites and only
a few have the correct file.  Then the new "fetch" will return an
error for size mismatch and bsd.port.mk will try to continue on a new
site.

Stefan, did I get that right?

Satoshi