Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 1995 17:21:26 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu (-Vince-)
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Some questions

-Vince- stands accused of saying:
> Hi everyone,

G'day Vince - I've seen your questions before, but I thought that you
should have had some answers by now 8(

> 1) We will be running our own nameserver as cosc.gov but how do I do the
> DNS entries and when we register our domain name with other nameservers
> besides our own, do we have to update the hostnames for the cosc.gov
> domain on our nameserver only or on all of the nameservers that are doing
> the DNS for our domain.  Specifically, how do we setup a nameserver under
> FreeBSD and also does the secondary nameservers just get it's updates from
> the primary nameserver?  Sorry for some non-FreeBSD specific questions but
> I'm sure some of you FreeBSD users would know very much about this stuff.

Your best bet here is to go buy the O'Reilly DNS and Bind book.  Setting
up a DNS is not a trivial task, and attempting to write about in in a mail
message is suicide for the fingers.

> 2) We will be providing ppp/slip on our machine... Is there anyway to start
> ppp/slip from the shell as the server or do we have to use something like
> slirp in order to do this since all the ppp/slip ip's will be routed
> through the FreeBSD machine.  Also, would I need to set the option
> "GATEWAY" on in the kernel config?

Check the manual page for sliplogin for information on how to set a
user's login up to run slip, and the ppp manual page for similar for ppp.

You can, alternatively run SLiRP, which will greatly reduce the
complications involved.

You will need to set the kernel gateway option.

> 	Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for you help!

No sweat. Sorry you got such a poor response before.