Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:06:48 +0100
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for Comments: libarchive, bsdtar

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On 2004.01.13 21:31:49 -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:

>   Step 2:  Rename the current system "tar" command to
>            "gnutar", also linked as "tar"

Isn't "gtar" the normal name for gnu tar ? (not that it matters much to
me).

> The first fruit of my work is "libarchive," currently
> on display at
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~kientzle/libarchive/

I downloaded libarchive-2004-01-14.tgz but it seems to be damaged. It's
only 10KB (the older version is 90KB), and fails on extract (with gnu
tar) saying:

tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

> Before I invest more
> of my scarce time on refining bsdtar, I'd like to know whether
> there is real interest in replacing gnutar with bsdtar.
>=20
> Feedback and comments greatly appreciated,

While I have no cruse against GNU tools, I think it would really nice to
replace GNU tar with a BSD licensed one.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6