Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:25:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT

>  * [Redirected to -chat since I don't think that the CVS committers particularly
>  *  want to join in what could be a protracted grammatical discussion :-)]
>
> (Ok, but don't take me off the CC: list, I'm not on -chat)
>
>  * FWIW, I've never seen "an unit" used anywhere on this side of the
>  * pond.  Our english teacher taught us (way back in the late 70's) that
>  * `an' be used in front of words starting a, e, i or o.  We never
>  * learned it as a general rule for vowels (especially since u and
>  * sometimes y fit that category, and you'd never say "an uniform" or "an
>  * yankee").

Hmm that's interesting, 'u' is definately a vowel, there are 5 vowels that's
pretty much written in stone but it looks like some english teachers
are changing the teaching of 'an' to not cover all vowels, making 'u' a
special case.

> Hmm.  I always thought it's the pronounciation.  If a `u' is
> pronounced like a `you', as in `unit' (`you-knit'), it's a consonant,
> and if it's pronounced like a weak `a', it's treated as a vowel as far
> as articles are concerned.

Yeah, that's what my little bit of research turned up which goes
against what I was taught in school. Note that I had straight A grades
for English when I left school which is not a claim that I know what
I'm talking about but rather a claim that the expectations must have
changed or I would have been getting things wrong at the time which I
wasn't (about 12 years ago that would have been).

> What about `an unpleasent experience'?  Do you say `a' here?
>
> Same for spelled-out consonants, like `X-rated' (ok ok stop laughing),
> I say `an X-rated movie', not `a'.

Well, what we say and what correctly written English would be are rather
different. I say 'an' a lot of times in speech when it would be wrong when
written but I think that's what's happening anyway, spoken English is
changing and written English is evolving to reflect that. English has always
gone through this process, it's just interesting to be able to actually watch
an aspect of this processes taking place.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155