Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:37:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
To:        Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD network hired guns?

> Just a quick question:
> If the fbsd box in question is assigned an IP address in the
> 209.180.198.17 space with netmask 255.255.255.248, how will that make it
> believe that all machines are on the local lan?
> Im no expert, but I thought it was the netmask that decided the size of
> the lan, not the default route?

Yes, you are absolutely right. I was only picking at the 0.0.0.0 gateway
having limited use, and the machine does indeed look at it's netmask to
see what's local or remote. With a netmask limiting the scope of the local
LAN and a gateway of 0.0.0.0 the box will just say "I don't know how to
get there" and complain. Much like it would (or should) if you had a
netmask of 0.0.0.0 and tried to tell it it also had a gateway.

In fact, that's something I might have to try sometime, just to see what
happens.

Thomas