Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 09:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        admin@rshb.com.ru, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dirpref gives massive performance boost

So it sounds like there would be some benefit in tar'ing and untarring
/usr/local, /usr/ports, /usr/src, etc. which will be less
disruptive...

Thanks!

- Mike H.

   From: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
   Cc: admin@rshb.com.ru, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
   Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 08:49:47 -0700
   Sender: cy@uumail.gov.bc.ca

   In message <20010930152404.581A8133C1@netcom1.netcom.com>, Mike Harding
   writes:

   > Um - what about my question?  Is the newfs necessary?  Repartitioning,
   > backup, and restore also require a backup medium, etc.

   The more of your filesystem that has had its files allocated using the
   new dirpref, the greater the benefit.

   There was a comment made earlier in another thread on another list (see
   archives) that the new dirpref has the risk of greater fragmentation.
   There were no responses to the comment.  I'm not sure whether this is
   just a concern someone had or whether the risk is real.  The fact that
   there were no replies to that comment seems to indicate we just don't
   know yet.

   In some OpenBSD mailing list archives (search Google) there were
   comments about dirpref + softupdates being 60x faster than UFS without
   the two features.

   Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
   Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
   Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
   Open Systems Group, ITSD
   Ministry of Management Services
   Province of BC