Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 03:11:10 -0700
From:      Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
Subject:   Re: Aspirations

Phil Regnauld wrote:
> > - A well-practiced maniacal cackle
>
>         Don't forget the "I look down upon you, you're so cute" laugh.
>                 (will include .WAV file someday).

I thought I only had to be partially condescending?  I'm still
learning.

> > - Linuxworld t-shirt
>
>         Argh!  -10 points!

I was still young, still weak.  The Linuxites mobbed me!  I had to
assimilate to save myself!  I keep the t-shirt as a solemn reminder
of my mistake.  Never again shall I fall under the Spell of the
Penguin!

> > - DEF CON t-shirt
> > - BOFH "ATF agent" jacket with matching cap
>
>         That's my man!
>
> > - Home decor al a Byte Magazine, and Handbook printouts.
>
>         à la, FYI.

Ah, thanks...  I used French class to catch up on the sleep I didn't
get at night because I was playing Wolf3D.

> > - A bookshelf full of outdated unix manuals
> > - A room full of used and not-quite-working computer hardware
>
>         *sob*

Jealousy or the solemn understanding of the painstaking process of
compiling such a collection?

> > - Windows NT 3.51 coasters (These are my *good* folding tables.)
>
>         Neat -- I would have used 4.0.

The 4.0 CDs aren't mine, yet.  I'm still paying off the loan.

> > Will I need to grow my hair out and buy a Toyota as well?
>
>         It's either long hair or bowl cut.  You choose.  You could
>         also try to look cool (shaved head) or inconspicuous
>         (normal citizen look, with geekism seething under the surface).

Well, I never did look good in a bowl cut, and I just look plain
scary with a shaved head.  So long hair it is.  Me?  Look normal?  I
don't think so.  I put up with the "look like a functional member of
public society" shtick for far too long as private-school kid.  I
prefer to flaunt my geekiness.

> > What's the current geek-fashion trend for shoes?  Have double velcro-straps
> > made the come back yet?
>
>         Timberland or birkenstocks.

Hmm... well, I dare not spend *that* much money on something that
isn't made of silicon or plugs into a slot or socket.

> > This message written under the influence of heavy FreeBSD use.
>
>         You should look at the average FreeBSD hacker, then.
>
>         Mike Smith has that "Matrix" look to him :)
>
>         Jordan is an undercover hacker trying to pass for human.
>
>         Greg Lehey has the birkenstocks.

Photos?  Is the Jordan you're referring to JHK?  (That reminds me,
why did a friend of mine warn me to beware of the cats if I ever meet
JHK IRL?)