Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 16:09:10 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Andrew writes:
>
> > I think the point is that if everyone took
> > that opinion then -stable would never get
> > stress-tested in the sort of environment
> > that Marc is using it, and we would never
> > find some problems until a -release was
> > rolled making the -release far less stable
> > than we are used to.
>
> That's right.  Thank goodness there are still people around who are willing
> to take unnecessary risks.  As long as they aren't working in my
> organization.
>
> Of course, the ideal would be for the developers to stress-test the OS,
> since they wrote it.  Apparently that doesn't happen for FreeBSD.  One of
> the unfortunate consequences of open source, I suspect.

Actually ... there is a difference between a developer stress-testing an
application, especially one as complex as an OS, and real world testing
... how many different combinations of software am I running in 87 jails
for 87 different clients?  How many developers have the hardware to
continously pound in such an environment for 20 days straight until it
finally decides to crash?

I'm not hitting problems where you boot up and it crashes ... those ones
are easy to deal with, since they are the fastest to get fixed ... I'm
hitting problems where it can be several days, or weeks, of intense load
before she blows ...