Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:23:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        simond@irrelevant.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with installing 4.1-RELEASE

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000 simond@irrelevant.org wrote:

> Hiya, is there any reason why "flags 0x1" got added to the atkbd0 line
> somewhere between 4.0 and 4.1? I'm asking as when I was trying to install
> 4.1-RELEASE it wasn't recognising the keyboard, installing with 4.0-RELEASE
> worked, after which I tried cvsuping to 4.1-STABLE which still didn't work.

I believe this is to facilitate USB keyboards. From the atkbd man page:

     bit 0 (FAIL_IF_NO_KBD)
           By default the atkbd driver will install even if a keyboard is
           not actually connected to the system.  This option prevents the
           driver from being installed in this situation.

If the atkbd driver loads it will become the default keyboard even if a
USB keyboard is present.

If your keyboard controller is busted then you can try removing the flag.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org