Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:52:23 -0500
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
To:        bob@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP routing failure [fixed]

Yes it was a sleep issue (and not the sleep(2) kind haha). *facepalm*
Apparently the POP uses a 2 stage authentication process. First, you use
unix/slip style authentication after which the POP then initiates CHAP.
I had specified the inccorect password for CHAP but after the initial
autentication the POP still assigned me an IP; albeit one that didn't talk
to anything but the next hop and its nameserver. it's all good now!