Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2013 15:59:33 -0600
From:      Jimmy Kelley <ljboiler@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: eclipse-devel Juno -> Kepler

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 08:42:26AM -0800, George Neville-Neil wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2013, at 8:00 , Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
>
> > Hallo,
> > 1st off thanx for the efforts for eclipse the port all those years.
> > Are there any plans to port Kepler (Eclipse 4.3) in the near future?
> > Just took a look at the Juno patches (pheww... doable but lots of work).
> >

> A few of us have talked about it, but it is, indeed, a lot of work.
>
> That being said we do need a plan.  My original idea was to retire
> the current eclipse port and move eclipse-devel over to be just eclipse.
> Then we could get started on doing a new eclipse-devel which would
> be 4.3, or, perhaps 4.4
>
> Best,
> George

Greetings, one and all...

I am pleased to announce that I do believe I have the port for
Eclipse Kepler (4.3) ready to go!  You can download the gzipped
shar file from http://webpages.charter.net/ljboiler/eclipseKepler.shar.gz
I put this info into PR 180243.

I have named this eclipse4-kepler.  My 2-cents worth on rearranging the
existing ports:  move eclipse to eclipse3-indigo (some people might still
be using or need this version), move eclipse-devel to eclipse4-juno, add
this new one with the name I've given it, and eclipse-devel can be added
in the near future as an update to the kepler version.  From what I've seen
from other ports, a non -devel version points to a very specific version or
tag, whereas the -devel version usually tracks the 'head' version of a
work-in-progress; since the eclipse source is now coming straight from
a Git repo, I can see this being very easy to make the eclipse-devel port
track and truely be a "use at your own risk, bleeding edge" version of eclipse.

I would like to warn people that much has changed with how things get built
with Eclipse Kepler compared to earlier Eclipse ports.  Currently, the
source straight from the Eclipse repo builds EVERY flavor of the Eclipse
SDK/platform they release: win32/linux/hp/macosx/... with gtk/motif/win32 GUI.
Most of the porting work was to hack out all that and only build a FreeBSD
flavor (unless you could spare several hours and 40+G disk space).  I'd say
that a machine with 2G RAM minimum is needed, and still plenty of disk space:
10G in the ports distfiles area and almost 3G in the port working directory.
ALSO... a working network connection is needed during the build phase, which
(from a post to the ports mailing list this last week or so) tells me that this
might not be able to be built by the automatic port building/packaging cluster;
something about network access only being allowed during the fetch phase of building
a port.  Even with a always-on network connection, be warned that there have
been too many times I've run into various servers or their mirrors being down
when trying to build this and having to start it over (sorry, maven builds
don't fail gracefully, and are hard to pick up from where an error occurred).

Needs openjdk7 to build, runs on either openjdk6 or openjdk7 (default).
Ran into a bug when running on openjdk7 and debugging a java app targeted
for openjdk7, which was also seen by someone using Netbeans (which makes
me think it's a openjdk7 bug): something is looking for libntp.so and can't
find it even though it's right there in the openjdk7/jre/lib/i386 directory,
and the "fix" is to symlink that into /usr/local/lib.

Seen a few screen redrawing glitches, which clear up for me on my mutli-desktop
window manager (i3) by switching to a different desktop and back.

The port has options to install the full SDK (what the previous Eclipse ports built),
or just the Eclipse platform (without all the Java and Plugin development
stuff), which might be useful for people that use just the CDT or other
language tools.

Enjoy!

Oh, BTW, yes I know that Kepler 4.3.1 has been released (happened about 2/3
through my work on this).  There were enough changes that makes this port build
fail using the existing patches, so I'm off to figure that out next; just thought
enough people might want to get their hands on this to start playing with it...