Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 00:37:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
Cc:        Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Mirroring

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Didier Derny wrote:

> I think that ccd [vinum?] can be more powerful than ccd but that you
> have to spent more time to get the right configuration
>
> the day, I needed to use the mirroring I tried vinum where I had some
> problems of configuration and then ccd where I only had to read a simple
> man page to have a system working efficiently.
>
> It is sure that I one day I can find 3 spares disks and a lot
> of time I'll try to install vinum.

In my opinion it looks tougher than it really is, especially for simple
configurations. If you know the 3 or 4 steps you can have things running
in a few minutes not counting newfs/init time. I would love to see some
simple ground-up recipe's for taking a couple or three fresh disks all the
way to mounted volumes. The info is there, but you do have to read quite a
bit to put it all together and feel comfortable. I've come close to
spewing out a couple one-page from-virgin-disks-to-mounting recipes, but
other than fringe things I'm okay with it now and haven't needed it
myself. And I always figured we have a few experts here (hello Greg!) who
are probably already planning something more user-friendly. ?? Would this
be useful? If nothing else it could be a standard response here on the
questions list a couple times a week. <type...type...type...>

Dave