Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 22:49:16 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
Cc:        Joshua Peck Macdonald <jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

>   classes as well as for a SLIP or PPP connection.  The number
>   I know using freebsd is about 5 I think, linux is probably closer
>   to 100.  I can't explain that one.
>
>I can.  Linux people have got distributions; two hours and you got
>everything on disk, including TeX, emacs, doom and everything.

How is this not true for the 2.0.5 release?  Perhaps doom is not in
the ports collection, but we have some 280 different pre-built packages
that were released in conjunction with the 2.0.5 release including TeX
and emacs.

>There is no
>need to select between at least three different variants of BSD.

But there is a need to chose a distribution of linux.

>Add
>unbeatable stability records when used in end-user workstations and lots of
>masses using Linux.  There are other more subtle reasons, but those are far
>enough.

I read this as stability under light load.  This is like saying that your
car never hits trees, but you only leave it idling in the driveway. :)

>We currently use about 15 PC's running FreeBSD as routers and servers, but
>the user workstations and personnel's home machines are Linux.  The main
>reasons for using FreeBSD here is Linux networking code (sigh) and
>non-existant source management, and probably some history.  FreeBSD gets
>hurt badly by unstability, not much change to "sell" FreeBSD to anyone as
>long as the longest uptimes are weeks.

Are you saying that your servers only have uptimes measured in weeks or
that FreeBSD performing in a workstation role similar to where you have
Linux machines is not as stable?

How do you make your FreeBSD machines fail?  Do you submit problem reports
detailing the problems you encouter via send-pr?

I'm not trying to imply that FreeBSD is super stable, but I do find it more
stable and reliable under heavy load than Linux.  I also point out that
we can only fix the bugs that are reported to us.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM