Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:07:09 -0400
From:      Dave Hummel <dhummel@simpull.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mod_perl DBI-Oracle - information/volunteers

Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank the FreeBSD developers for
their efforts. As I become a more experienced UNIX administrator
(Solaris, AIX, Linux, FreeBSD) my appreciation for FreeBSD only
grows. It truly is a great platform.

TO THE POINT:
What I (and I am quite sure others) need is a tidy little package
consisting of apache-mod_perl with DBD-Oracle. In the past I have
used the native Oracle 7 libraries, but I had to give that up because
of lack of CLOB support.

What I am about to attempt is to build a self-contained linux version
of httpd-mod_perl with DBD-Oracle. The requirements as I see them
are:

1 - This will run in a chrooted environment independent of the
/compat/linux
       tree.
       a - chroot'd webservers are good (aren't they?)
       b - I do not want to add libraries/binaries or otherwise munge
the linux_base.
              This package should always work with the current version
of linux_base
               regardless of changes - a script will be used to copy
required pieces of
               linux_base to the chrooted environment.
2 - This will be a tidy package. Not everyone has access to a linux box
to do
       the compiles. The package will contain linux-httpd and required
libs,
       linux-perl and required libs, and an easy way to install desired
perl_modules.
3 - Obviously the package cannot contain the Oracle libraries because of

       licensing. We need to provide a way to extract the required
libraries from a
       legally-aquired Oracle distribution.
4 -  This should work equally well as tidy package for linux boxen.
5 - This would be documented and maintained.

QUESTIONS:

1 - Has anybody already done this or part of this?
2 - Would anybody be willing to donate time to this by:
       a - Assisting with the technical side of things.
       b - Writing docs.
       c - Testing and providing feedback.
       d - Sharing experiences of attempts to do something similar.
       e - Sharing thoughts/comments to the overall game plan.

Thanks,
Dave