Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:57:46 +0100
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp help sought

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 11:38:20AM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > > CCP is Compression (or Connection) Control Protocol, I think.  Your
> > > machine may be having trouble establishing the connection; are you sure
> > > that ppp(d) is running on your server when they dial in?
> >
> > I'm using /etc/ttys:
> >
> > ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"    dialup on
> >
> > /etc/gettytab:
> >
> > std.57600|57600-baud:\
> >         :np:sp#57600:pp=/usr/local/bin/ppplogin.sh
> >
> > (This is - if I didn't mess anything - out of the box 2.2.5R)
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/ppplogin.sh:
>
> [...]
>
> Try using a terminal program to dial into the server and make sure you get
> the ppp signatures -- they're like {x{y{z{a{b... ie, it's a bunch of {
> separated by characters.

I tried to log in via kermit to the dialup site, logged in as the
ppp user/password and after 3 or 4 seconds I get logged out/hung up.

I didn't see any ppp protocol characters. It seems that
the peer side is sending something (in the case of Win95 and FreeBSD (iippp)
peers the connection works) It's only the linux peers that don't work.

Maybe the ppp-aware getty/ppplogin is just waiting for the peer side to send
something and in the linux case (which is using pppd as well on the peer
side the peer expects the server to be active on connection).