Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:17:26 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Long <fbsd2@sstec.com>
Subject:   Re: 8.x Amd64, ATA SATA mode reporting

John Long wrote:
> Moved from another thread
>>> I csupd to stable amd64 8.0 and rebuilt then noticed from dmesg that
> I went from SATA150 (it should be SATA300) to >> udma100 SATA.
>>
>>This is a bug/quirk of some changes in ata(4).  Your drive should be
>>operating at full SATA speed (probably SATA300).  You can bring this up
>>in another thread if you want, but it's purely cosmetic as far as I
>>know.  atacontrol(8) and diskinfo(8) -t and -c will come in handy.
>
> I am looking for stability and find this possibly disconcerting.
> It looks like you are right about cosmetic for the speed test is about
> the same in either. In Generic atacontrol cannot determine the mode at
> all and in stable it shows up but as the wrong thing, udma100 SATA
> instead of SATA300.

The problem is that ICH7 chipset unable to report negotiated SATA speed.
That's why only SATA reported there.

UDMA100 report is also correct there (even if it looks strange). As SATA
just wraps all existing parallel ATA protocols, from ATA protocol point
of view that mode is active.

--
Alexander Motin