Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 1995 22:40:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        "freebsd.questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fdisk & partition names

Thanks for writing.

I tested out the partitioning on an old 386, figured out the offset
thing, and where to start the new partition. It worked out, so I started
on the 486.   I'll have to re-read the 'sliceing' FAQ section.

I tried to add 6 partitions for bsd at first. After wd0s4e, the next three
partitions were simply labled 'X'. I stopped there and loaded it
as three partitions, not sure if bsd supported extended partitions.

As per your suggestion of putting /usr/local on a separate partition,
/usr/local is empty, but /usr/share is very big. I thought 'share'
might be a better choice.

Your letter helps greatly, thank you.

While I've got you here, is there a 'install' procedure for installing
the other programs; 'kermit.tgz', 'bash-1.14.tgz', 'top-3.3.tgz', etc.
I posted this question to the Mail-list a few hours ago, but the
letter shown up yet.

Thanks again,

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com