Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:38:04 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        jasonverkaart@hotmail.com, mmat@twister.zrs.hr, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4 x Network card

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > If you really want 4 network interfaces, you should look into the
> > multi-interface cards.  I have a 4 interface DEC card based on the DEC 24041
> > chipset.  BSD treats it as 4 seperate cards, and you save yourself 3 slots.
> > :) (each "NIC" still requires an IRQ though)
>
> This is not necessarily true. All the multiport cards I've used (either
> Tulip or Intel based) have allowed interrupt sharing.
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

Hello,

I'm using at work some (around 50, now) boards by D-Lik (DFE-570-TX)
which I heartily recommend : they work well on either 3.4 or 4.x and you
use just one PCI slot for 4 Ethernet port (and a p-III 450 can sustain
routing on all 4 ports simultaneously at up to 50-70 Mbps on each port).

	TfH

PS : has someone any idea on how to use all ports "ganged" to get more
bandwidth ? (I know I could use a 1-Gig Enet board, but I would like to
use a 4-port-board to get a 400Mbps bandwidth to my file server)

--
Thierry Herbelot                        ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN   /"\
Dir. technique LUCCAS                  AGAINST HTML MAIL & NEWS \ /