Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:32:23 -0500
From:      northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.25" Floppy

>I thought that was the newer ones.  Weren't the old style 5.25s 640K?
>It's been so long . . .

Model independant

>Where the heck did you even find a working one?

Around the house. We have three...

>Even the 3.5s are
>pretty much beyond usefulness for me now that the net is everywhere
>and the CDRWs are so easy and cheap, but those 5.25s would be pretty
>interesting for nostalgia.

Nostalgia, sure... but, hacking an 8086 boot disk just to access an even
more
ancient hard disk with an original 70s FORTRAN compiler and libraries?
Much cooler.

>Either way, I'll bet Daxbert's advice will at least set you in the
>right direction.
>
>Good luck.

I appreciate the luck =) But, I tried that before posting to the lists.
No such
luck in that direction. The driver plumbs the "fd?.*" interface along
with the
"fd?" interface based on values probed from the CMOS, so, its basically a
namespace bind on static size media.
Don