Date:      Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:26:30 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Simon Jolle sjolle <urandomdev@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Grep Guru

--------------enig2279F8F9ECFE6F32EB2E7DA1

Simon Jolle sjolle wrote:
> On 06/08/2008 10:12 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
>>> I tried to make a grep script on find a string in all files on path .=
/=20
>>> and down. It does anything exept searching in files and reporting the=
m.
>>> Is there a Grep Guru who can hint me out? Thanks,
>> I expect you need something like:
>>
>> find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep pattern
>=20
> Or install the GNU grep (from the man)
>=20
> -R, -r, --recursive
> Read all  files  under  each  directory,  recursively;  this  is
> equivalent to the -d recurse option.

The system supplied grep(1) /is/ gnu grep:

happy-idiot-talk:~:% grep --version=20
grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1-FreeBSD

Copyright 1988, 1992-1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO=

warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOS=
E.

grep -r works just fine.

	Cheers,

	Matthew