Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:13:08 +0200
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot problems with new -current

Thanks to both replies - these helped me for staying in -current...

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote (1999/09/25):
> Your disk claims to have bad144 enabled, the ata driver doesn't
> support this.
> If you need bad144 support (ESDI or ST506 disks, you can recognize
> them by the two ribbon cables and their 8+ years of age) you need
> to use the wd driver.
> Otherwise you need to fix your disklabel (by booting with the wd
> driver and fixing it).

Ok: Just run "disklabel -r -e ad0", clear word "badsect"
in "Flags:" line and booting of new kernels is back...
I hope I really don't need to reformat my disk. Or is it possible
there will be another problem?

Soren Schmidt wrote (1999/09/25):
> It seems Cejka Rudolf wrote:

Yes - it was really me :-)

> The ATA driver has no bad144 support, thats probably why you get
> the above message. The reason is that modern ATA disks does internal
> bad block remapping (just as SCSI), and if you have used up all
> the spares you better swap that disk for another one, its going
> bad on you no matter what...

But in earlier versions ATA driver worked for me. Does this mean that
flag "badsect" was silently ignored and now it have an effect on
a panic? Isn't a big warning message sufficient instead of a panic?
Never mind - does't take it as a request for a change. I'm writing this
just only as a warning for others.

I think internal bad block remapping is long time here. But
in the middle of 1996 I have bought a new Western Digital disk
with some bad sectors and it runs without any problems till today
(and without any new bad sectors - I have tried new disk format
some time ago). Does this mean that I should in such cases make
a complaint in a store if I want to use new ATA driver?

--
Rudolf Cejka   (cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz;  http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~cejkar)
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of El. Engineering and Comp. Science