Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:37:50 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>, Gilligan <dsnell@nycap.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Abit IT-7 motherboard

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:04:52 -0500, Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com=

wrote:

> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.8R/hardware-i386.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
>
> There is info on what hardware is supported and a list of various =

> programs that exist in the portstree.
>
>> From my experience FreeBSD is far simpler to get up and running than =

>> windows is.
> It is much quicker to install than windows is, too.
>
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:10:15 -0400
> Gilligan <dsnell@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I am a complete newbie when it comes to FreeBSD and I am interested i=
>> running it getting so I can't afford Windows pgms). I looked on the
>> FreeBSD web site but I cannot find any info on if I can run it.
>> (Windows requires the drivers (Highpoint 374) for the ide drives) Als=
>> if I will be able to use my HP DVD-R/W drive. (I just want to be able=
>> use it as a CD-RW).
>> Help!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Doug

Even if you don't see your hardware listed, why not make a partition =

("slice" in FreeBSD parlance) and try to install it?  If something doesn=
't =

work, well, you haven't lost any money.  At that point you might try Lin=
ux =

(Gentoo, while not necessarily the easiest distro to install, is probabl=
y =

the one most similar to some aspects of FreeBSD), because the larger Lin=
ux =

user base tends to result in quicker availability of drivers.

Jud