Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:05:13 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Dmitry Sukhodoev <raven@bingo.ru>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD hangs

Dmitry Sukhodoev <raven@bingo.ru> wrote:

> how i can find reason of this hang? why hangs? please help me!
>
> there is no kernel panics, just stops and nothing :-(

     This may not be your problem, but you should check for leaking
electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard.  Lots of "faulty" capacitors
were apparently produced around 2000-2001 (???), and many electronics
(like motherboards) have been failing (since 2001, apparently).  We had
a motherboard with these bad capacitors, and FreeBSD would "just hang"
on it.  Eventually, the hangs got worse and worse until the hangs
occurred during the BIOS bootup.

     Look for small amounts of light brown/wheat colored "mud/dirt"
on/around the capacitors.  See the pictures in this article:

	http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

Specifically:

	http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncapf1.html

(It's a bit hard to see, unfortunately.)

[ Personally, I'd be paranoid about any electronics bought between
  2000-2002.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com