Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 08:27:46 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        Stanley.Hopcroft@ipaustralia.gov.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dumb question. How does one get a user ID in a particular logon class ?

On Tue, 18 May 1999 Stanley.Hopcroft@ipaustralia.gov.au wrote:

> I am writing to ask how do non-root and non-default user-ids get the resource
> limits specified in a particulat /etc/logon.conf class.
>
> My FreeBSD-2.2.8 STABLE host says about daemon class
> How does a real daemon that's not started by rc* get these limits ?

If your daemon is started by su, e.g. "echo '/usr/local/sbin/daemond
-args' | su nobody", you could probably use the "-c" flag to su like
this: "echo '/usr/local/sbin/daemond -args' | su -c daemon nobody".

If your daemon is started via inetd, see the inetd.conf(5) man page for
details on how you can specify the login class for a daemon.

HTH,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer