Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2014 01:25:45 +0100
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, Walter Hop <freebsd@spam.lifeforms.nl>
Subject:   Re: Small motd nit in 10.1

> Am 30.10.2014 um 01:14 schrieb Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>:
>=20
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014, Walter Hop wrote:
>=20
>> I noticed that the motd has been updated, which is great.
>> =
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.1/etc/motd?revision=3D272461&vie=
w=3Dmarkup
>>=20
>> However, the following line could be improved:
>> Show the version of FreeBSD installed:  uname -a
>>=20
>> I would recommend changing the line to:
>> Show the version of FreeBSD installed:  freebsd-version
>>=20
>> Users often confuse the kernel version (uname -a) with the actual =
FreeBSD version from the freebsd-version(1) command. Because of this, =
people needlessly worry whether their system was updated correctly after =
freebsd-update has run, because they erroneously check this with ?uname =
-a?. A small motd change will hopefully prevent that.
>=20
> Sorry, I don't understand the source of confusion.
>=20
> Besides the version, uname(1) also shows the architecture and kernel =
config file name.

If you use binary updates (which is the preferred method these days, if =
I=E2=80=99m not wrong), and the update doesn=E2=80=99t touch the kernel, =
the patch-level is subsequently not reflected in the output of uname -a.
That=E2=80=99s why this isn=E2=80=99t a bad idea per-se.
freebsd-version doesn=E2=80=99t show architecture, though, which might =
be of interest.