Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:47:12 +0900
From:      Rob <nospam@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hi I have a suggestion! To Imporve the perfect Freebsd!

Jorn Argelo wrote:
> The idea is alright, but Wine is far from perfection. In fact, many large
> programs and 3D applications won't even run with wine. Why? First because
> it's still in Alpa fase. Secocond,  they depend on DirectX, and Wine only
> emulates the API part of Windows. You could use WineX, but that is an
> commercial program, so it cannot be shipped with FreeBSD. Third, Microsoft
> constantly changes the API code, and sometimes they don't publish
> documentation regarding the code.
>
> Besides, who needs Windows programs anyway? You have everything you want for
> free, except for games.

Let me add my frustration to the beautiful world of free Unix software.

I'm working in physical chemistry environment at the university.
My M$-Window$ collegues use Microcal Origin for the graphical data analysis.
I must admit that this software is fantastic and I sometimes feel my style
of data analysis is from the stone age.

The problem is, there's no such thing available in the free software pool
and Microcal refuses to port Origin to Unix environment. I've tried running
it over Wine, but failed.

Don't tell me there's Grace (or equivalents); that's no comparison at all!

Now there is a commercial Unix alternative: Tecplot. But I'm unable to change
the minds of all my collegues to switch to Tecplot only for my sake. Spending
few thousand dollars for my Tecplot license, just because I stick to FreeBSD,
is not an option.

So not only the games-people, but also research environment can be in trouble
when embedded in a Windows oriented environment.

Regards,
Rob.