Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:21:11 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make -jN world; how to determine optimal value of N?

> Does anyone know of a method for determining the optimal number of
> concurrent jobs with which to make world (or anything else for that
> matter), given the amount of RAM, speed of processor, version of
> FreeBSD, speed and layout of disk(s), etc.?

I doubt that such a method will ever be found, but more useful might
be to figure out if there are any aspects of the Makefile hierarchy
which already limit parallelization regardless of how much woof you've
got in your machine.  Some graphs I've done on a quad xeon strongly
suggest this to be the case.

- Jordan