Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 1995 14:56:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        dennis@et.htp.com, tom@sdf.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wanted: 100bT EISA ethernet recommendation

> > It can't be wrong, because any way you slice it its an opinion. Under light
> > load anything will work, but under heavy load its nice if your bus
> > throughput is greater than the bandwidth. If your EISA card is bus mastering
> > it can take over your machine under heavy load. For a workstation, sure, but
> > not for a server. And EISA is too expensive for a workstation.
>
> HP use EISA in most of their 9000/7xx stations and they're performing
> that badly...

And any one who uses the EISA slot in a 9000/7xx for anything other than
Ethernet is being foolish.  Don't put the FDDI card in there, get the
main board FDDI version and put ether in there.

Though the FDDI in EISA works okay in that setup it is about 20% slower
due to absolutely lowsy design of the EISA host bridge.  The EISA slot
design in that particular system was not designed for high end cards
really, it was put there so they could stuff in Apollo TR cards for
migration, and for running an ethernet card when the MB is set up with
a FDDI port.

An HP9000/7xx with MB FDDI can saturate FDDI all day long and not
even bother the CPU much at all, wish we had a PC with as good as
a memory system as is in that beast! :-).