Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:44:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Evgeny Roubinchtein <eroubinc@u.washington.edu>
To:        David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X  Windows not fully loading...

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, David Banning wrote:

>Hi - sorry to bother you overly burdened volunteers with
>my pesky problem.
>
>I only recently purchased the FreeBSD version 2.2.8 - Everything
>seems to be fine except X Windows.
>
>For X Windows the installation went fine.  No errors.  It went into
>graphics mode fine during installation. I've tried several graphics
>configurations - they all seem to work fine - until I type "X" to
>run X Windows.

Try "startx" instead.  "X" just starts the X server, which gives you the
mouse pointer and  the gray weave background.  "startx"  is a shell script
which uses xinitrc to start the X-server _and_ load some nice programs,
most important of which for most people is the "window manager:" it lets
you move windows around your desktop, generally has some kind of menus to
start programs, etc.  "startx" will use the file .xinitrc in your home
directory to figure out which programs to start, and if there is no
.xinitrc in your home directory, it will use the system-wide default.
(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc on my system).  The default xinitrc
starts twm -- a "classic", but a bit old window manager. You will
probably want to:

cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc

,and modify to taste.  I suggest you take a look at the window manager
called WindowMaker.  (in the ports collection).  It isn't very big, looks
quite good (IMO), much of the configuration is GUI-based, and it can do
menus, etc in different languages.

The fact that X server is able to start with no problems is a very good
sign: it means the chances that other X programs ("X clients") will work
are very good indeed.

I hope this helps

--
Evgeny Roubinchtein, eroubinc@u.washington.edu