Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:47:34 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >> There is no harm in having to run a rev on the UFS/FFS on-disk format,
> >> when you hav 37 years to complete it.
> >
> >Or 10 years, if we go Julian's way.
>
> Julians way doesn't work: it has insufficient sub-second resolution.

According to you, that won't bite anyone for 10 years.

Also: no one has ever justified this for anything other
than "make", which looks only at mtime, so having such
high resolution for atime and ctime is really not necessary,
unless it can be justified.

I have yet to see a demonstration of another system failing
and FreeBSD succeeding as a result of the time resolution
on file timestamps.

The "mtime" argument is really only valid in the case that
you rerun a build in a subsecond time with generated source
code, such that the generate code ends up with the same
mtime timestamp as the previously generated object code.  I
fully admit that subsecond resolution on mtime is necessary
to avoid stale files in the case that you can regenerate
them with different contents in under a second since the
previous build.

Frankly, I'd be much more concerned that the local time is
not sent with all NFSv4 requests, so that the local delta
can be calculated, rather than relying on unreliable ntpd
drift synchronization, which is certainly in the second
range in unreliability.

-- Terry