Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:16:52 -0000
From:      "Martyn Hill" <m.hill@st-james-snrgirls.w-london.sch.uk>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Is there anything wrong with softlinking /var to a pratition with more space

Dear all

Our school FreeBSD box regularly fills its /var partition (my mistake - I only gave it 20MB at install...)

As a short-term solution, I have created a softlink to a var/log directory made on another partition and removed the original
/var/log directory (as log was the offending directory).

Can I expect problems as a result of my somewhat dirty solution? Seems OK for now...

Martyn Hill
ICT Teacher and IT Co-ordinator
St James Independent School
London