Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:32:45 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird display problem

Hi all!

There's something strange going on with my system. Sometimes, all of a sudden,
there are lots of colored vertical lines on my monitor. When I switch to a
terminal at this moment, there's a mix of some funny characters and some of
the characters that should normally be there. A few of these are only
displayed half, i.e. every other row erased. The system responds to commands
as normal, it just looks a bit messy on the screen. The problem doesn't go
away until I reboot.

I thought it could be faulty hardware, but then I found out that it is
reproduceable: It always happens when I visit
http://directory.google.com/Top/World/Deutsch/Wissenschaft/Mathematik/Angewandte_Mathematik/
in Mozilla and scroll down the page. I once had this a long time ago with 4.8
(now I have 4.9), but I can't remember the browser I was using and the exact
site (it was something in Google directory).

How can I solve the problem, or at least find out what causes it?

Regards,
Daniela