Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:23:37 -0500
From:      "Martin Gignac" <mgignac@cinar.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Extra blank page when using lpr...

Note: I've posted this message once, but doesn't seem to have appeared on
the mailing list, so here it is again...

Hi,

I recently plugged an HP LaserJet 4000TN printer to my FreeBSD box (running
3.3-stable) and tried printing Greg Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD" errata in
it's Postsript form using the command:

cat errata.ps > /dev/lpt0

Everything went fine. But when I turned on the lpd daemon and issued the
command:

lpr errata.ps

it still printed fine, but the printer spit out an extra blank page at the
end of the print job. I tried printing  other Postscript- and PCL6-format
files, and I always get an extra blank page if using lpr.

I used the default /etc/printcap file. After doing a search in the mailing
list archives, I found a reference to an ':ff=\004:\' command I could insert
in the printcap section for my printer. It fixed the problem.

My question is this: why does lpr seem to print an extra blank page by
default compared to just using 'cat errata.ps > /dev/lpt0'? And what exatcly
does 'ff=\004' mean? Is it some kind of escape code? Does it have to be
'activated' for all printers using lpr, or just some?

Thanks for any reply, and I hope I haven't asked a question that's already
been asked too many times...

-Martin