Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:44:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        nirva@ishiboo.com
Subject:   Re: -current kills harddrives

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I seriously doubt that -current is killing your hard drives.
> Some things you just can't do from software, even if you wanted
> to.

At least not this way...

Basically, the drive in question seem to have initiated a SCSI bus
reset.  It's probably a problem in our drivers if the system doesn't
survive the bus reset, but the origin of the problem is a hardware
fault of your drive.

Btw., i've once seen strange error messages caused by weak power
supply cabling.  Yes, i was finally fully convinced that the disk must
be bad, bought a replacement, transfered one gig worth of data over to
the replacement (which worked fine), and had all my troubles back once
i had mounted the new drive in the same location as the supposedly to
be broken old one.  :-/

--
cheers, J"org