Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:18:20 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        juha@saarinen.org
Cc:        mixtim@home.com, rjackson@cs.csubak.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is the STABLE branch not so stable anymore?

From: Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:51:31 +1200 (NZST)

> I'm confused about this. The Handbook says to track -STABLE, if errr...
> you want stability. Are you saying that in order to have a stable system,
> we should stick with -RELEASE?

The handbook also says:

Warning: The FreeBSD-STABLE tree endeavors, above all, to be fully
compilable and stable at all times, but we do occasionally make
mistakes (these are still active sources with quickly-transmitted
updates, after all). We also do our best to thoroughly test fixes in
FreeBSD-CURRENT before bringing them into FreeBSD-STABLE, but
sometimes our tests fail to catch every case.

Which means that you shouldn't track it if you have no tolerance for
such things.  That's what -releases are for.

- Jordan