Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:26:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark <mark@darklogik.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 5.3 Performance

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Mark wrote:

> > FreeBSD will run for years without a boot in many cases.
>
> Ah, this point fascinates me. Running for years? Do you ever have to
> recompile your kernel? :)

The longest personal uptime I've had is just under two years, and that was
for a UPS-backed natbox in my parents' basement.  I updated the userspace
remotely as needed, but never bothered to reboot it as there wasn't really
a motivation for a kernel update given its environment (the user space
updates were for things like sendmail vulnerabilities).  At some point,
the power went out for longer than the UPS could keep it up, so the uptime
went tumbling down...  I think it was up for about 540-550 days at that
point.

Robert N M Watson