Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 10:50:13 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        "Sam Leffler (at Usenix)" <sam@usenix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crunch.conf for picobsd+openssh

have you had a look at the "bridge" picobsd configuration on
a receont (4.4/ RELENG_4) FreeBSD version ?
That one works, using a specially modified version of
ssh (not Openssh) which is in ports/picobsd.

The main problem with the "open"s{sh,cp,shd} is that they
bring in a huge amount of things, if i remember well it is
over 500KB _compressed_, which is unacceptable bloat for picobsd.

The second problem is that (both in the ssh in the ports, and I
think also in openssh, which is derived from the same code),
ssh, scp and sshd share a large number of source files, but you
cannot make a library out of them because those files reference
symbols in program-specific files (i.e. there are three different
functions named "foo" in ssh, sshd and scp).
And if you don't make a library, the code bloat is again unacceptable.

The ssh port in ports/picobsd is patched to avoid the above problem.

	cheers
	luigi