Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 21:05:04 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        James Wraalstad <jamesmw@oz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot manager broken

On Wed, 25 Dec 1996, James Wraalstad wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.6. on my second hard drive.
>
> There is no other software on the disk.  The installation runs fine but it
> always
> reboots into Windows95.
>
> Can I use the boot.flp disk to bring up bsd on the second drive or must I
> install
> it on my primary drive?
>
> Thank you for your kind attention.
>
> James Wraalstad

You need to install the boot manager into the first disk. To do that either:

1. When installing FreeBSD tell it to install into *both* disks, don't
creare any partitions on the first one, but tell it to put the boot
manager on it.

or:

2. Boot DOS (Win95 DOS mode is *not* good enough) and install the boot
manager. The installation program is in the \tools directory on the CD
and on the ftp sites and is called something like bootinst.exe if I
remember correctly :-).

Nadav