Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 01:07:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Josef Belkovics <belkovic@albert.osu.cz>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip forward-protocol udp 170

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Analogous there is necessity to forward broadcast (?) for wins, browser
> > dhcp etc. services under nt, w95.

> DHCP forwarding is done by DHCP proxy (see the RFC).
Is there DHCP proxy under FreeBSD? I use ISCdhcpd beta_5_14 and I think
that it isn't DHCP proxy.

> I imagine WINS would be done via browse master (which you could get by
> running the most recent SAMBA code on FreeBSD), so it would not be
> forwarding, technically.

> What other UDP packets are you trying to forward?  Most likely whatever
> they are, they should be seperaly proxied and/or agregated by a proxy
> service (eg: the WINS browse master example, above).

I am trying to forward UDP packets from microwave bridge. Management for
bridge runs on novell. Under cisco router I forward UDP packets with the
aid of 'ip forward-protocol udp 170'. My question is how I get this
function under FreeBSD? Now I know about natd (network address
translation). Do you know another solution?

(Next, I have other microwave bridge. This has ip, management runs on w95.
But implementation of ip stack is strange (bridge certainly isn't able to
fragmentation) and I can't use management program behind router (cisco or
FreeBSD). So I also want to use natd.)

Josef Belkovics