Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 18:56:35 +0100
From:      Orion Hodson <O.Hodson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
To:        Philippe Charron <garry@stella-net.fr>
Cc:        rat-users@cs.ucl.ac.uk, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rat and AOpen CS4235

<39353910.70959321@stella-net.fr>Philippe Charron writes:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use RAT with FreeBSD (3.4 and 4.0) and a AW37 3D AOpn
> sound card
>
> In my kernel configuration file I put the line
> >device pcm0 at isa? port? irq 5 drq 1
>
> This card work well with the pcm driver by Luigi Rizzo and FreeBSD
> detected this as folowing: (part of start-up messages)
>
> >pcm1: <CS423x> at port 0x534-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1,0 on isa0
> >unknown0: <GAME> at port 0x200-0x207 on isa0
> >unknown1: <CTRL> at port 0x120-0x127 on isa0
> >unknown2: <MPU> at port 0x330-0x331 irq 9 on isa0
>
> I've tested it with x11amp and it works well
>
> I tested the following version of Rat:
>
> RAT-3.0.34 : Nothing happend: no sound / no message
> RAT-4.0.4 (available in the FreeBSD ports collection) and RAT-4.2.4: The
> message "Sorry driver does support full duplex for this soundcard"
> appears and there is no sound.
>
> But the driver for these cards seems to be full duplex in FreeBSD!

RAT-3.x should work with half-duplex cards.  Send a note to
rat-trap@cs.ucl.ac.uk and a kdump output if possible.  This version
hasn't been maintained for a couple of years, so rot could be setting
in.

RAT-4.x only uses soundcards that are reported by their drivers as
full duplex (a naive assumption that future drivers and cards would
all be full duplex :-).  Have you done any tests to see if the card
and driver actually are full duplex, i.e. opening it rw and doing rw,
maybe looking at the driver code, checking full duplex flag is
correctly set when ioctl(AIOGCAP) called?

cheers
- orion.