Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:32:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD 4.0 on ALR Revolution Q-SMP

Dear Sirs.
We own two Siemens/Nixdorf PCE-5Smp machines, originally relabeled
ALR Revolution Q-SMP.
The Phoenix BIOS Revision is 4.04.3.
The system has 256 MB of RAM, three CPUs (the other  one has only two),
Mylex DAC960PD RAID 5. FreeBSD only runs in UP kernel, trying mptable
to figure out the MP tables and configuration shows messed up things.
In BIOS SMP specifications are switched to MP Spec (it is said that this
machine is then compliant to MP Spec 1.4).

Now I fell into trouble! On the one hand, SMP won't work! So I thought about a
BIOS update and at Gateway's site I found a newer one. Preparing a bootdisk for
installation of the flash BIOS was easy, I can boot the machine. Then I was asked
to press RESET and release it for updating the BIOS. I pushed all the butoons on the
front panel (execpt power on and power down) on the right panel, but nothing happend.
Where is the RESET button? has anyone successfully installed FBSD on this type of SMP
system?

Gruss O. Hartmann