Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:24:46 -0500
From:      "James West" <zerowren@msn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NAT with Three NICs

I'm fairly new to FreeBSD coming from a linux background.

My problem is probably simple, but I'm having a hard time with it. I have
four boxes, one FreeBSD that acts as a gateway/NAT router/Firewall, a
Windows2k workstation, and two old Mac workstations.

Being unable to afford a 10/100 hub right now, I'm stuck with a 10 hub and
10/100 cards in both the freebsd and windows machines. So I thought I could
just simply connect those two via crossover so I could get 100 on the ones I
use the most, and stick a 10 card in the freebsd machine to connect to the
hub and the old Macs that both have simple 10 cards. I would assign the 10
card in the freebsd machine a different submask and call it a day.

It doesn't seem to be that simple.

For some reason, my packets are being routed perfectly from the W2k machine
to the internet and back, but the macs are not reachable from either the
FreeBSD box or the W2k box. They cannot get out either.

I'm wondering, what do I have to do to get the FreeBSD machine to route
packets from both dc0 (100) and ed0 (10) through rl0 (which is connected to
my cablemodem, DHCP) and back again, as well as route traffic around the
local network?

Thank you

James West