Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 15:13:17 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot disk....

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > Microsoft products, "as small as possible" is still >1024 cylinders.
>
> Well, then he's "Doom"ed. 8-)  8-).

IMHO, he's a fool who should have gone SCSI to begin with, but we want his
business 8)  (I presume 8)

> > We should be able to work in this situation; the fact that it's almost
> > impossible notwithstanding.
>
> We can.  All you have to do is use the 386BSD protected mode wd second
> stage boot code.  Won't work for most SCSI devices, but that's not a
> problem... we are talking IDE here.
>
> The question is, how will you get the DOS MBR to read past cylinder 1024
> when the DOS MBR only has 10 bits for cylinder number in the I/O interface
> it *must* use?

This was what I gibbering about "breaking the rules"

Given the range of possibilities, about the only time we'd be truly screwed
would be when there's no BIOS translation, no LBA and no INT13 redirector.

Fitting code to deal with all of these in the MBR may be too much to ask 8(

> 					Terry Lambert

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[