Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 15:57:06 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vx driver patch

>I'm still not clear as to why we need to differentiate them.  There really
>is no requirement that slot 0 be present (other than it being standard and
>all.)
>
>Can we even tell if which EISA devices are really VL devices in disguise?

The only reason is to return the EISA probe to a read-only probe.
The ahc VL cards require that their ID0 register be written too
prior to reading the ID byte.  This isn't required for true
EISA cards and may prove harmful to other devices that just happen
to be in that space.  For instance, some PCI devices can be identified
as EISA cards if you probe the full EISA bus blindly.

--
Justin